I tried another recipe like this where I just cracked an egg into the ham pockets, they seemed slightly bland and it was a terrible mess to try to clean out of the muffin tin. Well needless to say I have changed this into something my boyfriend and I both like better. This is my version of Scrambled Egg & Ham Cups. Please let me know what you think in the comments!
The first step is to crack the eggs into a bowl and stir them until they are well combined. Then add the spices you would like to flavor the eggs with so that you don’t end up with anything too bland. I used salt, pepper, and paprika just to add a little extra to the scrambled egg base.
Then cook the onions in butter on medium low until translucent. This usually takes about 5 minutes with the diced onions I used. Then add the eggs and scramble them like usual leaving them slightly moist so that they can cook together and hold their shape in the final scrambled egg & ham cup, otherwise you will just be eating scrambled eggs on a crisped piece of ham.
We used some silicone cups to make this batch of scrambled egg & ham cups, which turned out to be a bit of a mistake since we also added tomatoes to the top. The tomatoes added some extra liquid to the mix making us have to remove them from the silicone molds and put them in the muffin tin to cook for another 10 minutes. It would be best just to properly grease the muffin tin with butter or avocado oil as it has a high smoke point and we will be broiling these to finish them off.
The next step is to fill the ham cups with your moist scrambled eggs.
We then added the slices of tomato and cheese, we used spicy Monterey jack cheese. You are free to use whichever cheese you want or skip it all together if you are trying to stay away from dairy.
Bake them at 400° F until the cheese has melted and the ham crisps up around the edges. You can also switch to broiling for a minute or two until the cheese starts to bubble. You can then plate and top with a few pieces of chives for look and an added taste.
Scrambled Egg & Ham Cups
Yield 6 Ham & Egg Cups
These tasty little things are a great way to start your day and don't take too long to make either.
- 4 - Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp - Butter
- 2 Tbsp - Onion, Diced
- 6 - Slices of Tomato
- 6 - Slices of Jalapeno Monterey Jack Cheese
- 6 - Thin slices of Black Forest Ham
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Mix eggs, salt, pepper, and paprika in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Cook onions in butter on medium-low in a skillet until translucent.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet with the onion and scramble the eggs.
- Spray the muffin tin with Avacado oil or rub with butter to prevent sticking and line with ham slices.
- Fill the ham slices with the scrambled eggs.
- Top with tomato and cheese.
- Bake until the cheese starts to melt (varies depending on the type of cheese used).
- Broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese starts to bubble.
- Slice some chives to top the scrambled egg & ham cups.
Serving Size 1 Scrambled Egg & Ham Cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 4.8 g
Unsaturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 92 mg
Sodium 437 mg
Total Carbohydrates 2 g
Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
Protein 9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Leave a Reply